Last post, I laid out 10 things to do before the first show. You know what? It freaking overwhelmed me. I re-read it, and I said, “What have I gotten myself into?” There’s no way I can accomplish all that in a short amount of time.
And then I realized, that’s a mistake in thinking. All of those things are highly accomplishable. They’re going to take time, but I thought of a way to easily hit those goals: Do 5 things a day.
Here’s the formula. Wake up. Get a small piece of paper. Write down 5 things I can accomplish today. Not 6 things, just 5. And not 5 large things, 5 easily accomplishable things. If it looks like something will take a long time, break it down into smaller pieces and pick the first step.
Here’s what I’m going to do today:
- Open up accounts with YouTube, Twitter, and ReverbNation.
- Search Craigslist and The Stranger for musicians for Shiplosion.
- Re-publish my ad for musicians on both Craigslist and The Stranger.
- Start writing a song for Shiplosion. (One song a week!)
- Go to a metal show tonight and ask around for guitarists and drummers.
I feel if I’m at least doing 5 things a day, I’ll be on my way to achieving that mountain of goals. And no one else is there to do it for me. I need myself as my sole inspiration. If I can only do 4 things successfully per day, I’ll reduce that list. I’d rather do one thing well instead of 5 things half-ass.
I might also start employing the Pomodoro technique for time management. Maybe each thing should fit within a 25 minute to one hour max time slot.